Frequently Asked Questions
How do I sign-up for my first class?
Please sign up in advance for ALL classes via email, phone, or online booking system here. For weekday classes, we recommend signing up at least one week in advance, for weekends, we recommend three weeks. We will need to know the following:
- The names of all students in your group
- Your contact phone number
- Payment information – either a credit card number with expiration date, CVV number and billing zip code, or coupon numbers for all participants. This information is for our cancellation policy (see below).
When your class day arrives, please come 20 minutes early. You’ll want time to check-in, change your clothes, and warm up your muscles.
Before class, please fill out our digital waiver: Sign Waiver
- Any child under the age of 18 taking a class with us must have the waiver and registration forms filled out and signed by their parent or guardian.
- Emerald City Trapeze requires a minimum of 3 students to run a Flying Trapeze class and 2 students to run an Aerial Class. If we do not have enough students signed up to run a class, we will give 24 hours’ notice to any students already registered, and we will do our very best to re-schedule them into a running class.
What are the rules at Emerald City Trapeze?
- Maximum weight = 250 pounds
- Minimum age = 6 years/12 for catch
- If you are pregnant, or think you are, you may NOT participate
- Please tell the instructors about ANY current injury
- Please remove all jewelry
- Never walk under the net
- Please stay behind the blue line on the floor
- Never adjust your safety belt
- Please, no gum chewing while on the trapeze
- If you have consumed alcohol, you may NOT participate in trapeze
- For safety reasons, instructors may end class early, as fatigue risk increases
- Don’t forget……HAVE FUN!!
What is your cancellation policy?
All classes at Emerald City Trapeze are non-refundable; however, you may reschedule your class as long as you give us at least 24 hours’ notice. There is a rescheduling fee of $20 for Flying Trapeze and $10 for Aerial Arts if notice is provided less than 24 hours prior to the start of class. To reschedule, or if you have additional questions regarding our policy, please contact our front desk at (206) 906-9442.
Groups reserving a specialty or private class are required to provide 48 hours’ notice. Failure to provide sufficient notice causes the participant to be liable for 100% of the cost of the scheduled appointment (we will charge your credit card or mark all relevant coupons as “redeemed”).
What if you are late to an Aerial class?
If a student is more than 15 minutes late to an Aerial class, entry into the class is at the instructor’s discretion. If a student is more than 20 to 25 minutes late, class credit will be forfeited. If you are going to be late, please contact our front desk at (206) 906-9442.
Are there class minimums?
Emerald City Trapeze requires a minimum of 3 students to run a Flying Trapeze class and 2 students to run an Aerial Class. If we do not have enough students signed up to run a class, we will give 24 hours’ notice to any students already registered, and we will do our very best to re-schedule them into a running class.
Is there parking?
Yes! Parking is really easy at Emerald City Trapeze. There are tons of free parking spaces on the street, and there is a small parking lot to the south of the studio. Within the parking lot, we have several designated spots for students. The spots with Emerald City Trapeze signs are free to use while you are attending a class. All other parking spots are paid parking.
If you are coming via public transportation, there is a LINK station right across the street along with several bus stops.
I have a Groupon/LivingSocial coupon! Now what?
Have your Coupon/Voucher Number available when you call or email us. We’ll need a coupon number for each person in your party in order to reserve your spots. Also…
- Please schedule your class several weeks in advance to guarantee availability
- Please schedule your class well before your coupon’s expiration date
- The full value of your coupon expires on your coupon’s expiration date, however the amount PAID for the coupon never expires and may be applied toward the cost of the class for which your coupon was purchased (per Groupon’s policy and Washington State law).
If you have additional questions, please contact the company that issued your coupon directly.
What Should I Wear?
Stripes, knee-high socks, polka-dots, feathers, sequins and glitter, bow-ties, multi colored tights, leg warmers, leotards/unitards and any other circus wear are highly encouraged!
Please wear comfortable, form-fitting athletic clothes – jeans and shorts are not recommended! You should be able to move in your clothes, but if they are too baggy, they will get in your way and be uncomfortable. Shoes are not permitted on the mats or any apparatus. If you have long hair, please put it up with an elastic band. Remove all jewelry. Contact lenses are preferable to glasses if you have the option, as glasses are not permitted on the flying trapeze rig.
For Flying Trapeze we suggest:
• Form-fitting pants below the knees (as you will be hanging form the bar by your knees), such as tights, yoga pants, leggings, running pants, or tight sweat pants. Please avoid zippers, snaps, or metal accessories.
• Athletic tops – preferably a few layers!
• Socks or bare feet once you arrive.
For Aerial Classes:
• Form-fitting athletic clothing is best and it is generally more comfortable to have skin covered rather than exposed (tights or leggings are a good idea).
• Please avoid wearing rings or jewelry. Clothing with buttons, velcro, snaps, zippers, rivets or other metal accessories are not permitted on any apparatus, as these can damage our equipment and are generally uncomfortable to work out in.
Are there forms I need to fill out before participating?
All new students are required to complete our registration and release forms.
For students under 18, a parent or guardian will need to sign their release/waiver.
You may print these out and bring them in with you to save time, or come early and fill them out when you arrive.
Can I have my birthday, bachelorette, or holiday party at Emerald City Trapeze?
Absolutely! Come celebrate your birthday, bachelorette party, or holiday party with one of our unique party packages. For more information regarding pricing and package details, please visit our Parties and Events page.
If you would like to book your birthday party or bachelorette party, please email us at email@example.com or give us a call between 10am and 9pm at (206) 906-9442.
How do I schedule a private party or lesson?
We are happy to accommodate any group, party, or event request!
To see current information and rates regarding parties and events at Emerald City Trapeze, please visit our Parties and Events page.
If you are a corporate group, you want to schedule a class with more than 12 people, or you are interested in renting our venue for an event, please contact our events team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in hiring our beautiful and talented performers for an outside event, please contact us at email@example.com.
For groups wishing to reserve a private flying trapeze or aerial class (under 14 students), please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call between 10am and 9pm at (206) 906-9442.
Can I buy an Emerald City Trapeze gift card?
Absolutely! For more information on our gift cards, please visit: Emerald City Trapeze Gift Cards
How long are classes?
Flying Trapeze classes typically last 2 hours.
Aerial classes range from 1-2 hours.
All classes are subject to an earlier ending at the instructor’s discretion in order to ensure the safety of our students.
Who can participate?
Our minimum age for Flying Trapeze is 6 years. The minimum age for most other classes is 12 years, pole dance is 18. For your safety, we have a maximum weight limit of 250 pounds for flying trapeze.
If you have health concerns, please speak with your physician before attending. If you have emotional/psychological concerns regarding the height of the flying trapeze, rest assured that all of our instructors are unlicensed, but incredibly experienced therapists and will guide you past your fears until you are safely flying through the air by your own two hands.
Sam Keen, author of “Learning to Fly”, took up flying trapeze just before his 62nd birthday and at 84, is still flying on a regular basis!
What’s the deal with Open Gym?
We invite current students and professionals alike to attend open gym with us on a daily or monthly basis. You may bring your own apparatus to hang and practice on, or use something of ours. Open gym does not include flying trapeze.
Open Gym Certification sessions for Aerial will be held on Tuesday and Thursdays at 5pm.
If the student passes certification, their first Open Gym drop-in fee will be waived.
- Staff Training: Saturdays 6pm – close
- Open gym will be closed
- Open Pole is okay
New students to ECTA: Must have been studying aerial consistently for at least 6 months prior to open gym. Any new students that cannot make these session times must:
Take a class at ECTA or schedule a private lesson with an ECTA instructor. The instructor will then determine whether they are approved for Open Gym OR
New students can pay a $30 assessment fee to the studio and the aerial director will schedule a 30-minute evaluation at a privately arranged time. If the student passes certification, their first Open Gym drop-in fee will be waived.
Current students: Must be working at an Intermediate level; must speak to their instructor for open gym approval.
Professionals: Must be referred by ECTA staff.
Requirements: Before booking your Open Gym Aerial Certification session please ensure that you can successfully complete the following skills unassisted:
- 2 standard climbs without stopping in between (up / down, up / down)
- 5 straddle-ups in the air
- 3 pullovers on trapeze or hoop
- 3 pull-ups
- 30 second hollow-body hold
Cancellations and Refunds: Bookings for Open Gym Certification are Non-Refundable but can be rescheduled if changed prior to 24 hours before the start of the session time. Sessions canceled within 24 hours of the start of the session will be considered redeemed, and upon re-booking, student is required to pay the $30 fee again.
You may participate in Open Gym while regular classes or private sessions are in progress only if there are points available.
Check out our Calendar to find out when the space is free.
Can I bring my pet to class with me?
In an effort to keep our space clean and allergen-free, we do not permit pets inside the building.